Altrincham History Society
Altrincham History Society Publications
Altrincham History Society publications - journals and occasional papers -
are available via this website link to Genfair.
An index to the Society's publications is available HERE in 'pdf' format..
This was updated in April, 2021.
Newsletters (in .pdf format)
To keep members informed during the period of suspension of the Society's meetings, (during the Covid-19 pandemic), the Society has issued a series of Newsletters, each of which can be accessed from the following list...
These Newsletters can be accessed by clicking on each of those listed below...
- Newsletter, no.1, April 2020
- Newsletter, no.2, May 2020
- Newsletter, no.3, July 2020
- Newsletter, no.4, September 2020
- Newsletter, no.5, November 2020
- Newsletter, no.6, December 2020
- Newsletter, no.7, Christmas 2020
- Newsletter, no.8, January 2021
- Newsletter, no.9, February 2021
- Newsletter, no.10, March 2021
Occasional Papers (in .pdf format)
Below is a sample of recent topics in our Occasional Papers (OP) series:
- Altrincham and its Buttermarket 1682-1760 (OP 17)
- Three Centuries of Public Houses in Altrincham (OP22)
- Altrincham Textile Mills (OP 26)
- The Barony Court of Dunham Massey, Transcripts from 1733 to 1740. (OP 28)
- One Hundred and Seventy Years of Health Care: Altrincham General Hospital.
Part 1: 1850s to Beginning of the NHS. (OP 27)
Part 2: From 1948 to 2015 (OP35)
- The Changing Landscape of Bowdon, Cheshire. (OP29)
- 'Mr Mayor Conceits Himself to Have That Power': Altrincham Court Leet in 17th Century (OP33)
- Asquith’s War: Altrincham, August 1914 to May 1915. Altrincham in WW1, Part 1: (OP34)
- The Coalition’s War: Altrincham in WW1, Part 2: May 1915 to December 1916. (OP38)
- Altrincham Town Hall (OP 37)
- Altrincham, the AFS and the Merseyside Blitz of May 1941 (OP 39)
- The 10th Earl of Stamford and the Dunham Treaures (OP41)
- Altrincham and Dunham in 'The Lost Years': Two Townships during the Absence of George Harry, 7th Earl of Stamford, 1848-1880, (OP 42)
- Managing Altrincham: Altrincham Court Leet 1612-1760 (OP44)
- The Accidental Earl: William Grey, 9th Earl of Stamford (OP45)
- Air Raid Precautions in Altrincham, 1936 to 1942. (OP 47)
- Enticing and Alluring: everyday fun in the 17th & 18th centuries (OP48)
- The Legend of the Hale Moss Witch (OP49)
- The Fifth Earl of Stamford and the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars 1793-1815 (OP50)
- Petty Crime and Misdemeanours 1613-1700: from Ashton-on-Mersey to Altrincham (OP51)
- The Ill-fated Earl: the 6th Earl of Stamford & Warrington and his family (OP52)
- Harbouring Inmates: the treatment of the Poor in Altrincham and surrounding areas, 1600-1760 (OP53)
- World War Two Memories of Altrincham (OP54)
Recent Journals have included articles on:
- Obituary: Bill Speakman; Roman & Medieval Impact on the Altrincham Area; Railway Crash in Braodheath; Eaton's Inn Revisted; The Manchester & Districts of the Ancient Order of Foresters Investment Association (No. 38, 2018).
- A Stamford Rack-Rent Dinner 1902; Isaac McDougall WW1 Red Cross Driver; Local Landscape History; Altrincham’s First Fire Engine (18th C); Obituary: Don Bayliss (President) (No. 37, 2017)
- Burdett’s Map of Altrincham; The Last Butcher in Altrincham; The Linotype Estate, Broadheath; Altrincham road development; To Serve in the Warrs; Altrincham Town Clock 1663-1707. (No. 36, 2016)
- Altrincham’s Ancient Charter; The Old Market Tavern 1600-1753; A Death in Hale (No. 35, 2015)
- Memories of Dunham Camp (National Service); Bent’s Inn 1640-1713; A 1729 Date-stone from Timperley; The VC and George Cross (no.34, 2014)
- Captain Bradbury WW1 VC; The Affair at Nery 1914; Altrincham Cinemas in 1914 (No.33 2013)