Altrincham History Society
The Society and Its Aims
What do you know about the history of your area?
Want to learn more?
Members enjoy a series of talks through the year, with occasional visits, and are encouraged to become active in researching topics related to the history of the area.
The Society publishes the results of research in booklets and a yearly journal.
Altrincham today is very much a modern town, with recent developments involving many changes but, beneath the streets and behind the buildings, there is a story to be told.
Subscriptions are £8p.a. or £15 to include a spouse or partner. Visitors are welcome, and are charged £2 per meeting.
To join, please complete the Membership Form (pdf)
Altrincham History Society meets monthly from September to May, on the second Tuesday of the month, starting at 7.30pm.
Meetings are held at Altrincham Town Hall, Market Street, Altrincham WA14 1PG, in the Old Council Chamber, on the first floor (lift available). A map showing the location is below...
Programme for 2017-18
All meetings are on Tuesday evenings, starting at 7.30pm.
- Tuesday, 12 September, 2017: Leslie Turner, Sir John Leigh, Bart.
- Tuesday, 10 October, 2017: Keith Warrender, The Bollin: from Ringway to Dunham Massey.
- Tuesday, 14 November, 2017: Stephen Birchall St John's Church, Altrincham..
- Tuesday, 12 December, 2017: Christmas Buffet and Quiz.
- Tuesday, 9 January, 2018: Joanna Williams, Abel Heywood, Mayor of Manchester.
- Tuesday, 13 February, 2018: Jean Bailo, Radical women of Manchester.
- Tuesday, 13 March, 2018: Michael Taylor Thelwall: Landscape & Lordship.
- Tuesday, 10 April, 2018: Hazel Pryor Victorian Altrincham.
- Tuesday, 8 May, 2018: AGM and Members' Research.
If you would like more information about the Society or its meetings, please contact:
- The Secretary on 0161 928-1583
- The Chairman on 0161 980-5464